DUQUESNE CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT HEALTH
Attention Parents and Guardians
New health requirements have been announced for the 2012-2013 school year. If your child will be enrolled with the Duquense City School District, please read about the health requirements for Grades K, 1, 3, 6, 7 and 11.
We want your child to be Healthy!
Duquesne City School District does not want to exclude a student from attending school. However, it is mandated by the Allegheny Health Department that each child must have completed immunization records by September 30, 2009.
Students are not permitted to return to school until they have received their required immunizations. If students come to school and are not caught up on their immunizations, parents will be called to pick them up.
The only exception will be made for those parents who have requested in writing a waiver for religious/moral or medical reasons. The District is legally mandated to report the names of all students not immunized to the Allegheny County Office of Children Youth and Families.
In addition to the immunization, there are a variety of other health services and screenings required at different grade levels. These are handled through the school nurse's office and include:
|Vision, Height, Weight - Annually
||School entry and in Grades K, 1, 2, 3, and 7
||Grades 5, 6, and 7
||School entry and in Grade 6
||School entry and in Grades 1, 3, and 7
Examinations are to be completed by the family provider. If the family does not have a family provider, contact the Mrs. Callas at 412-466-9600 Ext. 7009 for assistance in locating a doctor to complete the exam.
PA Department of Health / School Health Program
Early Childhood Requirements
Children entering the Early Childhood program must have the following immunizations:
- 4 doses of DTP
- 3 doses of polio (IPV)
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B
- 1 dose of MMR
- 1 dose of Varicella vaccine (Chickenpox)
These immunizations are recommended:
- 1-4 doses of HIB
- 2nd dose of MMR (by age 5)
Immunizations required for students in all grades K-12:
- 4 doses of tetanus toxoid (1 dose must have been given on or after the 4th birthday). NOTE: If series is started after 7 years of age, only 3 doses are required
- 4 doses of diphtheria vaccine (1 dose must have been given on or after the 4th birthday). NOTE: If series is started after 7 years of age, only 3 doses are required
- 3 doses of polio vaccine
- 2 doses of measles vaccine / 2 doses of mumps vaccine
- 1 dose of rubella vaccine
- 3 doses of hepatitis B vaccine
- 2 doses of varicella vaccine, or written statement from physician/designee indicating month and year of disease or serologic proof of immunity
Additional immunizations required for students in grades 7-12
- 1 dose of tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis vaccine (Tdap)
- 1 dose of meningitis vaccine (MCV4)
The District will also inform the families of any changes in immunization requirements for any school year.
Examinations are to be completed by the family provider. If the family does not have a family provider, contact Mrs. Callas, School Nurse, for assistance in locating a doctor to complete the exam.